Friday 19 February 2010

The Long Beautiful Winter

Winter Wonderland

I chuckle to myself each time I consider the irony that I chose the longest, coldest, snowiest winter in 20 years to move to Scotland…I’ve actually loved every minute of it, revelled in the blanket of snow which made my first Christmas here a white one, secretly hoped the snow would never melt. At times it felt as if I was the only person in Scotland enjoying the snow; my own personal Winter Wonderland. What excitement!

Everything looked prettier and outings felt distinctly more adventurous when every surface was covered in inches of snow and ice. Alas, all good things must come to an end, as the saying goes and after a blissful few weeks of ‘Arctic’ conditions, the collective will of the Scottish population took hold and the snow gradually melted, leaving just the odd pile of ice here and there to hint at the chaos that had receded.

I long for more snow. I suspect you’re missing the snow too, although you obviously can’t admit that out loud, after the number of times you bemoaned the difficulties you had getting to work/ home/ the shops / the pub and groaned each time a new flurry of snow fell during a weekday afternoon, leaving you panic stricken that you would get snowed in AT WORK (yes, the universe would be that cruel to you). Have no fear, closet snow lovers, I’ve compiled a small exhibition of my favourite photos of the season for you to gaze adoringly and daydream of snow days and snowmen. Before you go any further, place your thumb and finger over the ALT and TAB keys to expedite your navigation away from this page, lest anyone you moaned to endlessly about the pesky snow should walk past and see you partaking in such a guilty pleasure….Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment