Thursday 8 October 2009

Inspiration to Achieve

Sometimes I wonder what I would achieve if I lived in a little bubble on my own (maybe with just one other person for company, to stop me going mad). I know myself well enough to suspect it would not be a very productive life; thank goodness for having so many people on this planet who inspire me to do something more with my life.

Years ago, I gave up on New Year’s resolutions. I realised that saying I might try to achieve something in the coming year did not equal getting things done. The familiar sense of failure come February, March, April (you get the idea) as I admitted to my miserable self that yet again I was no closer to losing weight, being happy, being tidy, doing more with my life (the list goes on, I won’t bore you) than I was on 31st December. I have been a fair bit happier since I stopped making yearly resolutions to fail at, so at least one of my goals is a step nearer. I do however still feel the need to have something to aim towards, and I’m in a lucky position to have the time available right now to ponder what it is I want from life. A recent flurry of energy and enthusiasm from my twin, coupled with a chance visit to the Day Zero page of a fascinating Fife blogger (their to-do-list spookily resembled my own mental list) got me thinking in earnest about where my energy should be directed in the coming months/years/decades for maximised happiness and zen-like fulfilment. It seems unfair to credit just two people with this call to action, because I know so many other people who have played their part also. Thank you to each and every one of you (check out the links/blogs I follow, a plethora of creative people for you to be inspired by as I have been).

2009 and Beyond: The Path to Contentment

  1. Lose 14lbs
  2. Find a spiritual path
  3. Find a job I love
  4. Write for at least 30mins every day
  5. Have a piece of writing published
  6. Attend a photography course
  7. Attend a creative workshop
  8. Learn to play (some) piano
  9. See/photograph a red squirrels & seals
  10. Learn chess
  11. Walk regularly
  12. Learn Spanish
  13. Write a novel
  14. Develop and maintain healthy eating habits
  15. Walk Fife Coastal Path
  16. Go camping at least twice a year
  17. Stop shopping at supermarkets
  18. Learn to sing
  19. Learn to knit
  20. Update blog weekly
  21. Increase use of fresh/organic foods
  22. Recycle, Reduce, Reuse
  23. Wear my glasses when reading
  24. Volunteer with a conservation group
  25. Go horse riding
  26. Travel through Grampians/Highlands on a train
  27. Spend a week exploring Isle of Lewis & Harris
  28. Teach myself to play my guitar
  29. Organise and tag my photos
  30. Do a painting
  31. Develop a yoga habit
  32. Develop a meditation habit
  33. Meet creative people (and non-creative, they are nice too)
  34. Learn metalworking
  35. Identify 25 things I like about myself
  36. Buy a sketch pad and doodle/draw until it is filled
  37. Catch the boat from Anstruther to the Isle of May
  38. Use my slow cooker
  39. Join/start a book/doodle group
  40. Do something creative every day
  41. Read the books on my reading list (20 as of 08/10/09)
  42. Visit Hawaii
  43. Visit California
  44. Take a rubbish bag on every trip to the beach
  45. File my tax returns before it is January
  46. Practice massage regularly
  47. Get a library card
  48. Learn to identify trees and birds
  49. Own a craft/book shop
  50. Turn my photos into postcards/cards for sale

There you go, a list of my 50 top priorities for the foreseeable future. Doing all these things won’t fall into place over night, so I invite you to check in regularly to ask me how things are going. One thing I’m certain of, I am going to succeed in achieving the items on this list like no other list that has gone before. It’s going to be a fun journey.

1 comment:

  1. Crikey! We should collaborate!

    I am honoured to have inspired you, and I LOVE your poetry :)

    Taexalia

    ReplyDelete